Sunday, April 26, 2015

Esci WW2 US Paratroopers

I got these figures years ago, and finally got around to painting my first batch. I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out; I added a little water to thin down the varnish shadow wash, and I think it helped.
The Esci advertising for this set is very self-contradictory: the box proclaims them to be 82nd Airborne "Screaming Eagles." Any WW2 buff will tell you, the 101st, NOT the 82nd, had the nickname "Screaming Eagles." They are also pictured with the 82nd division's 'All American' double A badge on the sleeve.
Anyway, I painted these guys with the 82nd's insignia, despite the fact that one pose features the mohawk haircut that was a trademark of the 101st. Whatever.
As to the set itself, the figures are superbly modeled and, despite the mixup on the box, historically accurate. They wear the 1943-style uniform which, ironically, was worn in 1944 during the D-Day landings and afterward. The details are great and the poses anatomically correct. A great set all round. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment