Friday, May 29, 2015

Some More Crusaders

I finished two more batches of Italeri Crusaders for Lion Rampant.
These are a lot better than my last ones; the earlier ones didn't turn out as I had hoped - something to do with the coat of primer.
Anyway, I experimented with some new techniques on these guys, including the Foundry 3-layer paint system. In this system (a deeper summary can be found here.) This paint system is actually designed for 28mm, but can be used occasionally with 1/72 figures, on areas such as a tunic, cape, or caparisons (horse blanket thingies.) Anyway, I was experimenting with it a little bit because I'm going to try my hand at some Reaper 28mm Fantasy minis soon, and want to practice a little first.
Back to the painting system itself. It involves three shades of the same color of paint: a shade color, a base color, and a highlight color. You paint the shade color all over the desired surface and then paint the base color on everything but the crevices and recesses. Then you paint the highlight color on just the highlights. This three-tone method gives you a smooth, blended look, without the hassle of wet blending. It takes a little practice, but it's easier than it sounds. Again, for 1/72 figures, you'll only want to use this method for large areas, but on 28mm you use it a lot more. 
The figure in the first photo below is an example of the Foundry technique. I painted this guy's cape red, washed it with a dark red glaze to darken the color, then painted the highlights in a reddish-pink. This is actually a two-layer job, not three, but that's because I wanted the highlights to be pronounced so you could see them from a distance.










The lot of 'em
















No comments:

Post a Comment